deerstudio, llc日本語サイトトップへFor English, click hereTo top page
Alchemista - Katz Ueno

Monday, April 6, 2009

Softbank: iPhone Discount for Existing Users

Since February, Softbank began their huge discount of iPhone 3G. Now you can buy iPhone 3G 8GB model for almost free (with 2 years contract) called "iPhone for Everybody Campaign"

iPhone for Everybody - Softbank



"iPhone for Everybody" for Existing iPhone Users in Japan

But this is also a good news for existing Softbank's iPhone users in Japan. I called Softbank customer support to confirm, and I did renew my contract to reduce my monthly data plan today.

Effective on April 1st through May 30, 2009, the existing Softbank iPhone heavy data users will be able to benefit from this campaign.

If you are
  1. Bought iPhone 3G from Softbank in Japan
  2. You subscribe Softbank's White Plan
  3. You spend more than 5,000 yen per month for data charge
  4. You think you will be using iPhone in Japan for another year.
And then, you should definitely consider to renewing your contract.

If you are NOT existing iPhone users who spend more than 5,000 yen for data plan, just don't waste your time reading this post. It'll just add some more headache :-p



Detail of The Data Plan Discount

This campaign is not really advertised much.

But if you renew your contract now, Softbank will reduce the maximum data fee from 5,985 yen to 4,410 yen.

You need to know:
  1. You renew your contract (for another 2 years)
  2. Your data plan max charge will be reduced to 4.410 yen (1,500 yen/mo discount)
  3. You need to pay 9,975 yen cancellation fee if you decided to terminate your account within 2 years.
But 1,500 yen discount per month will add up to 18,000 yen per year.

As I am heavy iPhone App users, I've always maxed out the data fee to 5,985 yen every month. It's a no brainer. I went to Softbank today, and made the switch.



How to Join "iPhone for Everybody Campaign"
  1. Bring your iPhone, your valid Japanese ID (like Alien Regist. Card).
  2. Go to your local Softbank Service center
  3. Just tell them that you want to join "iPhone for Everybody Campaign"
  4. Fill out the form, your Softbank's cell phone number, name, Date of Birth, and show them your ID (Driver's License or Alien Registration Card which shows your address in Japan)
  5. They will renew your contract.
WARNING: This contract will renew your status after two years AUTOMATICALLY, so if you want to quit Softbank in two years, you have to show up BEFORE your contract expires and tell them to cancel when the contract ends.



Canceling This Contract Without Termination Fee

[UPDATED on 4/7/09]

So if you are ready to pay 9975 yen, you don't have to read this section.

But shibuya246 from JapanSoc,com asked me a question about Softbank's two-year contract. So I called Softbank customer center to find out.


According to their explanation, this "iPhone for Everybody" contract is AUTO-RENEW at every two years.

If you don't make any action on 25th month, you will be stuck for this contract for another two years. And you will have to pay 9975 yen termination fee if you want to cancel between 26th~48th month of your contract.


OK. So this adds to more headache... so let's take my case as an example.


I signed up for this "iPhone for Everybody" contract on 4/6/2009, and my billing cycle starts on every 11th day of the month.

If I want to cancel my contract without paying the termination fee (9975 yen), I will have to call Sofbank on 25th month which is between 4/11~5/10/2011....

But since I'm already saving 18,000 yen for a year.. I am ready to pay 9975 yen. So I won't care about the termination fee at all.



Japanese for Dummies

For those of who cannot really speak Japanese, I am just leaving this text for you. You are welcome to print this out and bring it to Softbank store to show it to them.



*DISCLAIMER:  You understand that I, Katz, will not be responsible for any of loss by using this examples.
(Although I am 100% sure that you can use my Japanese, I still need to protect myself :-))

  • 既存のiPhoneユーザーですが、iPhone for Everybodyキャンペーンの定額データプラン割引に加入したいと思って来ました。
  • I am an existing iPhone user, and I would like to renew my contract to reduce my maximum charge of the data plan
  • 私は、再び、今日から2年間の契約を締結する事を了承しています。
  • I understand that I am making another two-years contract starting today.
  • 今日から2年以内に回線を解約する場合、9975円の契約違約金が発生する事も理解しています
  • I understand that I will pay 9,975 yen penalty fee when I terminate the contract within two years.

----------
Save your money~.

No comments: